The leaves are all but gone and the snow has made its first appearance. Whether we like it or not we are facing down the holiday season with a kick-off next Thursday: Thanksgiving.
Bring on the turkey and sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie and parades and football games and food comas! I like Thanksgiving the best out of all of the end-of-the-year festivities because it’s centered around more than gifts and rushing around and feeling frazzled by the time December 31st gets here. It’s about remembering all that is good in what feels like an increasingly stressed out society, and spending time catching up with family and friends with whom we don’t usually get to share time with, much less a meal.
I imagine almost everyone has at least one moment when they find themselves quietly taking stock and realizing that there’s a lot more good stuff than bad stuff. All you have to do is look at your Facebook news feed to see all the daily grateful posts throughout the month of November to know that lots of us are taking stock and coming out in the black.
So in the spirit of thanksgiving, I want to make my own list – from an agent’s point of view. Here goes (not in any order of importance):
1. I’m thankful for the ability to do a job I love every day – it can be one of the most frustrating jobs at times, but in the end it is the most fulfilling.
2. I’m thankful for the opportunity to work in an agency where teamwork and camaraderie are the norm.
3. I’m thankful for my clients – their confidence in me inspires me to work hard to exceed their expectations, and I appreciate that they recognize that what I do for them isn’t just about the commission check.
4. I’m thankful for the people who told me when I got my license that most new agents don’t last a year in the business. They keep me striving every day to prove to them that I’m not one of those agents.
5. I’m thankful for the rough days – they make the end results that much sweeter.
6. I’m thankful for amazing mortgage loan originators – their hard work makes my hard work pay off.
7. I’m thankful for the awesome title companies that dig for those property titles – the peace of mind they provide is priceless.
8. I’m thankful for my brokers – they are amazing bosses, and they have a wealth of knowledge that I am lucky to draw from in a pinch.
9. I’m thankful for my “Circle of Influence” – the fact that so many of them are dropping my name (in a good way!) when the topic of real estate comes up is so personally rewarding for me. Thanks for remembering me!
10. And last but not least, I’m thankful that my family has been so supportive of what I have to do that leaves them with late-night dinners, last-minute substitute kid pick-ups, and muting their favorite TV shows while I take business calls at home. If they are annoyed, they hide it well. I love them for putting up with my crazy schedule!
It’s so easy to have a bad day and grumble about this or that, but I love the opportunity to share these – it’s good to remember that I have so very much to be thankful for. If you haven’t had a “gratitude moment” this month, I hope maybe I’ve inspired you to take a look at your own personal “life ledger”. What kind of awesomeness will you find to be thankful for?